Thursday, May 2, 2013

5/1/13 things I learned

Yesterday was the aquarium field trip, and even though I didn't go I still learned a lot from just looking up the animals for the research project. First thing I look up was the lion tamarin, and I first thought I was going to find a lion but it ended up being a type of monkey. It stood out because of it fur and bright orange mane. I thought the most interesting thing was that just like flamingos these monkeys color, was abstained by what it ate. A mineral called carotenids that is found in its food, also from sunlight exposure.
Another fish I found interesting was the unicorn fish, I looked up this fish just because of its name. And it actually does have a horn In the middle of its head that can reach up to 13 cm. they are usually longer on males, and are not used aggressively. Meaning if these fish are trying to protect themselves they actually use their tail, not the horn. The last animal I really found interesting was the Helmeted Curassow, which get there name from the long blue horn like thing on top of their head. These birds are known as "unicorn birds" and something very unique about them are their mating rituals. The male bird will find a female bird and will bring her food almost as an offering. If the female wants to mate with the bird than she will accept the food.
I found that each animal I researched for the assignment were each uniquely different and had several fun facts for each.





No comments:

Post a Comment